Nanotechnology is a fast-growing interdisciplinary scientific field leading to applications in a wide range of science and engineering fields. This course provides a background of the understanding, motivation, implementation, impact, future, and implications of nanotechnology. During this course, you will discuss specific applications of nanotechnology in biomedical fields, environmental solutions, and electronic devices.
This course provides a foundational introduction to nanotechnology. We will discuss the growth of nanotechnology, including the tools used and processes developed utilizing the top-down and bottom-up approaches. The course will conceptually introduce you to the utilization of technologies incorporated from an array of science and engineering fields towards novel solutions to pressing scientific problems.
This class is suitable if you are interested in gaining a fundamental knowledge of nanoscience, understanding the current applications of nanotechnology, and learning about future prospects in this field. Class presentations and weekly quizzes will allow you to demonstrate your understanding of the material. In addition to understanding the material, you will focus on your individual projects to present applications related to nanotechnology.
During this course, you will learn to:
• Understand the importance, foundations, and applications of nanotechnology.
• Understand the interdisciplinary nature of nanotechnology.
• Understand the integration of different science and engineering fields into applications of nanotechnology.
• Study some detailed applications of nanotechnology in environmental science, biomedical science, and nanoelectronics.
• Apply the knowledge learned in preparing and presenting an application of nanotechnology.
On-Campus Supplemental Fee: $100
Mathematic Requirements: High school Algebra and Geometry is essential. Chemistry and Physics: High school Chemistry and Physics courses are strongly recommended.
Online sections of Pre-College courses are offered in one of the following modalities: Asynchronous, Mostly asynchronous, or Blended. Please review full information regarding the experience here.