This course aims to provide an overview of psychological disorders in adolescence. The course will educate you about how psychological disorders that arise throughout child development into adulthood, such as autism or learning disorders, specifically impact adolescents. It will also focus on those conditions that typically emerge or worsen in adolescence, including depression, anxiety, conduct disorder, substance abuse, and eating disorders.
This course will emphasize critical thinking about causes, assessment, symptoms, treatment, and current research in the field. By the end of the course, we expect you to appreciate the relevance of context, culture, and scientific research in understanding abnormal psychology and its treatment among adolescents. This course will provide you with a foundation in abnormal psychology and more in-depth content focusing on adolescent mental health to prepare you for further education in the field of psychology. You will finish the course with the most up-to-date information on the conceptualization, assessment, and treatment of psychological disorders among adolescents.
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
• Obtain a broad understanding of mental health problems in youth, including anxiety, mood, disruptive behavior, attention deficit hyperactivity, learning, autism spectrum, psychotic, eating, and substance use disorders.
• Develop critical thinking skills as applied to causes, assessment, and treatment relevant for each disorder.
• Conceptualize psychopathology using a developmental perspective.
• Consider the role of stigma toward the child and family in abnormal behavior and mental illness.
• Consider the role of the family and environment in the course and treatment of pediatric psychological disorders.
• Identify the strengths and limitations of research on pediatric psychiatric illnesses and treatment.
Online sections of Pre-College courses are offered in one of the following modalities: Asynchronous, Mostly asynchronous, or Blended. Please review full information regarding the experience here.